Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Secret Affairs of Mildred Wild

I attended Bucks Theatre last night at Deerfield Beach High. The show itself is delightful as the audience is taken into the wacky and wonderful world of Mildred Wild. Unfortunately, her husband has diabetes, the bakery is being shut down and the bulldozers are coming to tear her apartment building down. But that doesn't stop her from her Hollywood dreams of being a starlet.
Coming into the theater I really, really liked the auditorium; the proscenium arch of the stage, the slant of the audience to the stage, and the memories that the booth in the back brought me. Good times.
The show started and I couldn't really hear the two stars in the beginning. I was hoping the acoustics would give us something, as I was sitting close to the middle/back area of the audience. Perhaps diction on the actors' part would have helped. Not sure. Then the show introduced us to Helen - played by Sofia Delgado. Her voice was crystal clear, full of intent, diction was perfect - and I heard every word she said. She was, by far, the best in the show. The over-bearing sister-in-law to Mildred, which, in my present life, I can DEFINITELY relate to Mildred's problem with her.
The landlord, played by either Zynora Lowery or Fatou Jackson (I'm not sure whom), was not real strong in her entrance. I wasn't sure what she was doing with the yelling at Mildred. Later in the show she proved that no words at all make a strong statement as she exited the scene in sexy lingerie. Well done.
There was a photographer in the crowd during the show - might I say, "several photographers." I got up at one point to ask Mr. Floyd Nash about the photographers (me, coming from a background where audience hands are for applause and not for holding ipods and iphones and taking pictures of actors while they hone their craft on stage), and Mr. Nash informed me that yes, parents and audience are allowed to take non-flash pictures during the show.

I miss the good ol' days.

Must give props to the set designer - the King Kong hand was amazing! That kept me laughing for a long time thereafter! The whole set is to be commended. Every angle, every entrance, every small set piece - well detailed, well done. Then there was the corded phone - without the cord. Which played well until Mildred picked up the phone and came downstage with it. Now, I know the younger generation wouldn't think twice about it, but period-wise, it should probably have a cord on it unless we are in Mildred's fantasy world again - which we weren't at that time.
All in all, it was a well-done show and the actors looked like they were excited to be on stage. May they continue to have that excitement!




No comments:

Post a Comment